Formed in 2005, Lambourn Juniors
F.C.'s aim is to provide football and sport for all in the local
community, with well meaning and dedicated volunteer's helping to run the
club.The club strives to provide quality coaching for youngsters and our aim is
to acheive F.A. Charter Standard status.
Every member of our Club is a valued member
and offered the opportunity to improve their skills through quality coaching
from F.A. qualified coaches who have all been CRB checked.
Sports Club history
The Club's foundation - 24th June
During the late 1800’s and early 1900’s, clubs were started in Lambourn for
cricket, football, tennis, rifle and bowling using a variety of sites and
facilities around the village. In 1946 though, the football club suggested a
public meeting to discuss the formation of a Sports Club combining all the
existing Clubs into one, and starting other sports if members wished.
All the clubs attended and the late Mr J C Wing was elected to conduct the
meeting and, as a member or official of all the Lambourn clubs pre-war, was the
ideal choice. After some discussion, it was proposed that a Lambourn Sports Club
was formed to "promote and encourage all sports and recreation for the enjoyment
of its members".
During 1946-47 all the existed clubs joined the Lambourn Sports Club along
with some newly formed clubs for billiards and darts. In addition, between the
1950‘s and 1970‘s Lambourn Sports Club also included drama, athletics, table
tennis and netball.
The Clubhouse and grounds
The first clubhouse was purchased second hand in September 1946. It was
erected on land belonging to Mr E T Bracey which was already being used for
sports - the Football Club had been playing there since 1909, the Bowls Club
since 1930 and the Tennis Club from 1934. The clubhouse was officially opened by
Mr E T Bracey, the Club’s first President, in October 1947. The building served
the club well and was used for some 44 years until 1990 when the roof had
deteriorated beyond repair.
Initially the Club rented the land from Mr E T Bracey but in 1955 was able to
purchase it for £700, thus securing a long-term home for a number of sports in
the village of Lambourn. Over the years many improvements have been made - hard
tennis courts built, the cricket square graded and seeded, followed by the rest
of the field, new fencing and car parking area.
The original wooden clubhouse was augmented over the years from 1960. Funds
were always tight and although the Club obtained some grants and borrowed money
for the new buildings, it was always the individual contributions of the
members, to both fundraising activities and to the building work itself, that
enabled progress. First a new hall was built, to this day it is the largest
capacity hall in the area, then a lounge bar was added and finally a new
Billiards Room replaced the old wooden clubhouse. There are also changing rooms,
a committee room and a kitchen.